Thursday, August 15, 2019

An Interview with Sensei Tony Christian , part 2.

'FOLLOWING THE TRAIL' – A CONVERSATION WITH SENSEI TONY CHRISTIAN.

This is the second part of a long interview I did with Sensei Christian back in 2015, that was published in the UK martial arts magazine 'Martial Arts Illustrated'. 
This section covers the early 1970's and the 'Kung Fu Boom' of that period. 

'FOLLOWING THE TRAIL' – A CONVERSATION WITH SENSEI TONY CHRISTIAN.


AM = “Just to take you back. What was Karate training in general like back in the 1960's, your pre-Goju Ryu Training ?”

TC = “We didn't know any better, any depth. My lessons could be, line up, basics and then we'd fight: Kumite / Randori for an hour and we'd knock sh*t out of each other. It was terrible really. This was in the Gordon Smith Institute, it was a Seaman’s institute. In the middle of the hall , where all this training was going on, was a big glass case with model ship – like a nine foot long model ship, huge ! And this old boy would keep coming running in...”For Christ sake, what are you doing ? You'll break me ship !” We were always knocking each other about, ask Bob Honiball (Sensei Christian's first Black belt student) about this. There was no real Kata study, it was all fight, fight, fight. It really got bad, because it was Liverpool. I couldn't relate Kata and fighting (Kumite), till Gary Spiers came along and showed me Bunkai etc. And we were young and silly and putting adverts in saying ; learn to fight, that sort of thing. So there were always people coming in and trying it on and I was always up for it – loved it ! Looking back, we had some bad times, how people didn't get killed ?”


AM = “So free fighting predominated ?”

TC = “Yes, loads of injuries though, lad had a broken leg, because we didn't know what we were doing. Shiomitsu (21) was asked why he'd been so cruel back then and said when he was young and because he didn't know how to teach, just fight. I was like that, knew how to fight, but didn't understand Kata or the philosophy behind it all (Karate-Do) . I'd come from a Boxing school and we were just whacking each other with this wonderful new art.”


AM = “We're into the 1970's now and you'd converted to Goju Ryu now, moved out of Liverpool to Wigan and are instructing , but not professionally yet. “

TC = “What happened , to get this down. I was a time served engineer, with a degree working at Napiers in Liverpool. We got taken over by British Aerospace and moved to Rushman - Packman in Newton -Le – Willows. So I moved out of Liverpool and to Wigan....I was working and teaching part-time. Now Karate was rare in Liverpool, it was like no one had seen anything like it in Wigan. A guy called Vick Dalton, a real all-round sportsman : Football, Rugby, Cricket ….Started training with me and Bobby Greenhalgh, we had clubs in Liverpool, Manchester , Preston and St Helens as well as Newton. We were going to 'crack eggs with big sticks' (Liverpool expression). So we had clubs everywhere but Wigan. Then Vick and a lad named John Owens said to me, you live in Wigan, why don't you have a club in Wigan ? And they are the ones who got me the Drill Hall. And that was the most magic time.”

“In the other clubs there was like ten training. When I opened up at the Drill Hall in Wigan , There were cars all over the place. I thought they were for the nearby rugby ground. I walked in and they were all for me. There were hundreds trying to join ! That was September 1973 and they'd all been watching Bruce Lee and we must never forget that wonderful Bruce Lee. I have a shrine to him – bow to Bruce (laughter) – made me a professional teacher. “

“When this happened I'd been doing Karate a while, I was no beginner. And I had some good black belt students under me by this time. I turned up that first night and there was hundreds and then every Wednesday after that. A standard night at the Drill Hall was one hundred students, it was unbelievable !”

“It was because they'd all seen 'Enter the Dragon' and all that. It was huge there, a magic time, and of course attracted loads of other people, the likes of Steve Taberner (22) etc, loads.”


AM = “The Drill Hall is now legendary. It's where I started with you. Sometimes there were over two hundred and we had to train in-between the army lorries. “

TC = “It is legendary. This is how it all fits in. Because I'd come up to Wigan, Gary was still in Liverpool. He was teaching, but he was also bouncing and body guarding. Doing it for the money.
I was an engineer and I was teaching, so I was getting a proper wage. Gary didn't have a proper job and had to chase it, job to job, bouncing etc. I think he was struggling. There wasn't much money in teaching before Bruce Lee and the Drill Hall. So Gary wasn't really around when it really took off......Remember that at this time there was no Sky TV, no computers, inter-net and no trendy fitness gyms, nothing like that. These were a hard working gang : a mining and rugby town. So when they saw this (Karate), it just took off. They were a fabulous bunch. Up to that time Bob Honiball and Brian Taylor were my Black Belts and I had a small group of brown belts at the other clubs, only a few students at clubs here and there, but in Wigan it just really took off.”


AM = “So you can thank Bruce Lee for becoming a pro-instructor. Because you set-up in Wigan, had these masses of students and could make the leap from being an engineer and part time Karate teacher, to become one of the first professional Karate instructors.”

TC = “It took over from my job. What happened was my boss in engineering said, in a nice way, basically. “You've got to make your choice Tony. You're not working in the right way. This Karate's distracting you from your work.” One thing lead to another and I went in and said. “ I've made my choice – I'm leaving !” Shocked everyone. My dad went berserk at me. I'd been to college and everything. Five year apprenticeship, proper qualifications, wife and a little baby, mortgage. And I walked away from that safe long term job. On reflection – wow ! I can see what my dad thought, how would it last ? I'd given up security for something that could only last a few years. Well it lasted a bit longer that a few years. I had over 30 years in the sun. Most business' only run 7 years.”

“Karate was all right then, up to when Danny (Connor) died. After that Karate started to peter-out. It's had a good run, over 30 years. Most business only have a run of 7 to 10 years , if they're lucky. Karate tripled that. It's lost its run now, gone quiet. “

“People go about the 1960's and how great the Karate was, even back into the 1950's : but really nothing was going on. It was trying, but.....Really it was the 1970's and good old Bruce Lee. That's when things took off. Even when Gary Spiers came around, there was nothing big going on. Then Bruce Lee came along and it's on tele' as well (The 'Kung Fu' TV series). That's when things really exploded. Suddenly it was everywhere. 'Kung Fu Fighting' on Top Of The Pops, even those 'Hai-Karate' adverts. I was what ? Twenty seven years old, sports car, living the dream , as they say now. The time of my life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment